Do you know that, if you’re operating a business website it’s crucial to prioritize the protection of information and ensure connections? I thought you should know about it. One effective way to achieve this is, by selecting the SSL certificates. There are many facts about this certificates.
In this blog post we’ll break down the process into three sections;
- Types of Wildcard Certificates
There are two types of certificates; single-domain and multi-domain. Domain wildcard certificates secure a subdomain (e.g., ‘. example.com’) while multi-domain wildcards protect multiple subdomains like ‘*.example1.com’ ‘*.example2.com’ etc.
When deciding between these options your choice will depend on the structure of your website and the number of subdomains you need to secure.
Though, this category is only based on domains, but there are many types placed in different categories.
- Factors to Consider When Making a Choice
There are factors to consider when selecting the perfect wildcard certificate;
- Subdomains; Take into account the number of subdomains you have. If you have many a multi-domain wildcard certificate might be more cost effective.
- Validation Level; Decide whether you prefer domain-validated (DV) organization-validated (OV) or extended validation (EV) certificates. DV certificates are quicker to obtain but offer assurance while EV certificates provide the level of trust.
- Certificate Authority; Choose a Certificate Authority (CA). Popular choices include DigiCert, and GlobalSign.
- Compatibility; Ensure that the wildcard certificate you choose is compatible, with all browsers and devices used by your visitors.
- Warranty; Some CAs offer warranty protection in case of certificate failure. Evaluate if this is important for your business.
- Renewal Process; Understand the process and associated costs for renewing your certificate so it doesn’t expire unexpectedly.
- Best Practices, for Implementation and Management
After selecting the certificate, the next step is to implement and manage it properly.
Sure let me provide you with a list of recommended approaches;
- To ensure the security of your certificate it is important to generate a complex key. A weak private key can jeopardize security.
- Keep track of your certificate’s expiration date. Make sure to renew it in a manner. Failure to do so can lead to a loss of security.
- Set up monitoring systems and alerts that will notify you of any issues or breaches. This allows you to promptly respond to any security threats that arise.
- Consider utilizing a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to enhance both the performance and security of your website. CDNs often work seamlessly with certificates.
- Ensure that your entire website is using HTTPS strictly. Having content can trigger security warnings, in web browsers.
- Regularly back up both your certificate and private key as a measure. This ensures that you have a copy in case any unforeseen incidents occur.
- Stay informed about the security practices and vulnerabilities. Security is a process so keeping yourself updated is crucial for maintaining protection.
In conclusion, choosing the certificate is an essential decision, for the success of your business.
If you’re considering types of certificates it’s important to think about your needs and follow best practices, for implementation and management. This will help ensure that your website remains secure and your customer’s data stays protected. By making choices and staying vigilant you can build trust with your audience. Maintain a safe online presence.